Categories
News

Taylor Swift Donates to Sexual Assault Victims’ Charity

On Monday, singer-songwriter Taylor Swift was awarded a symbolic $1 after winning a lawsuit against David Mueller, whom she alleges grabbed her buttocks during a meet-and-greet. Shortly after winning her case, the songstress made a “generous investment” to the Joyful Heart Foundation—a sexual assault victims’ charity run founded by Law and Order: SVU actress Mariska Hargitay.

“@taylorswift13’s courage & generous investment in our work sends a powerful message to survivors: you are not alone,” Hargitay tweeted on Wednesday.

Hargitay did not disclose the exact amount that Swift donated. However, Maile M. Zambuto, CEO of the Joyful Heart Foundation, confirmed that Swift’s donation was indeed copious. Zambuto told the Huffington Post that Swift’s donation was a “generous financial investment in the movement to end sexual violence.”

Swift’s win in court is being hailed not only as a victory for herself, but a victory for survivors of sexual assault everywhere. The 27-year-old said that she hopes to inspire other victims to speak out and fight back.

“I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this,” Swift said in a statement. “My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”

Meanwhile, David Mueller (the man accused of assaulting Swift) still denies any wrongdoing.

“I never grabbed her. I never had my hand under her skirt and I can pass a polygraph,” Mueller told ABC News after losing his case.

Mueller, a former radio DJ, complained to TMZ that he hasn’t been able to find work ever since the story broke. He even said that he might have to get plastic surgery and change his identity in order to find employment.

Categories
Donation News

Rebel Wilson Wins Defamation Lawsuit, Will Donate Payout to Charity

Last week, Australian actress Rebel Wilson won her defamation lawsuit against Bauer Media. Wilson, who is best known for her role in the Pitch Perfect movies, is set to receive a $5.93 million payout as a result of libel damages.

It all started back in 2015 when Bauer Media published several articles that painted Rebel Wilson as a liar. Wilson said that she lost several employment opportunities as a result of those articles. But as far as money goes, she claims she’s just glad to have her reputation back.

“It’s over in my mind,” Wilson said after winning her case. “The reason why I’m here is not for damages, it’s to clear my name, obviously. It’s just really not about the number … what I was hoping was that the jury would do the right thing and send a message.”

But Wilson did more than just clear her name; she actually created an entirely new name for herself as a philanthropist. Yesterday, the actress announced via Twitter that she would be giving all of the money she received from her lawsuit to charity.

“Re my defamation case win, any dollars I receive will go to charity, scholarships or invested into the Aussie film industry to provide jobs,” Wilson wrote. “I take being a role model very seriously.”

It was an admirable decision, considering that no one would blame Wilson for rightfully pocketing the earnings from her case. But electing to donate the payout instead shows that she’s able to turn a negative situation into a positive one. More importantly, it shows that she’s socially conscious and generous.

Here at Philanthropic People, we love writing stories about celebrities who use their fame and money to promote good in the world. Rebel Wilson, if you’re reading this, know that we love you and are very proud of all the work that you’ve accomplished!

*Photo courtesy of Eva Rinaldi at Flickr Creative Commons. 

Categories
News The Power of Giving

Michael Jordan Donates Lawsuit Settlement to Charity

Basketball legend Michael Jordan—whom you probably know best from the iconic 1996 film Space Jam—is handing over the $8.9 million he was awarded in a recent settlement to local nonprofits that help Chicago area children. Jordan plans to donate the money next summer.

Jordan was awarded the money in a successful lawsuit against grocery chains Dominick’s for using his name in an advertisement without his permission. A similar case is pending against supermarket Jewel-Osco, which is owned by the same company that owns Dominick’s, Cerberus Capital. The case against Dominick’s has been ongoing for six years since the stores, and even after his lawyers have been paid, plenty of money remains for charitable purposes.

Estee Portnoy, Jordan’s spokesperson, has not specified the size of the athlete’s donation, but she has said that it will go to 23 different charities including After School Matters, Casa Central, and the Greater Chicago Food Depository.

“I care deeply about the city of Chicago and have such incredible memories from my years there,” Jordan said in a press release. “The charities I’ve chosen to make donations to all support the health, education, and well-being of the kids in Chicago. Chicago has given me so much and I want to give back to its kids—the city’s future.”

The basketball star has said that he filed the lawsuit because he wanted to protect his name and image, and not because he was ever interested in the money. Dominick’s says that only two people actually used the discount code associated with Jordan’s name in a purchase—the item in question was an ad published in a commemorative issue of Sports Illustrated.

Dominick’s says that they did not place the ad in the magazine to draw customers in to purchase discounted steaks; they did it, they said, to showcase Jordan’s accomplishments.