On August 24, 2016, Italy was hit with a devastating 6.2 magnitude earthquake that killed at least 250 people. In addition to the tragic fatalities, hundreds of civilians have lost their homes, leaving a huge demand for housing, food, water, and clothing. The following organizations are reputable charities that are dedicated to helping the victims of Italy’s recent earthquake.
All Hands Volunteers
Based in the U.S., All Hands Volunteers is one of the world’s largest disaster relief programs. Their vision is to “demonstrate the power and value of volunteer service through the tangible work done, the hope it brings to suffering communities and the transformative experiences it provides for volunteers.” With over 35,000 volunteers, the organization is estimated to have impacted at least 500,000 people from all over the world. NGO Advisor ranked All Hands Volunteers as one of the top NGOs of the year. Just this past May, the Traveler’s Institute awarded All Hands Volunteers with its 2016 Community Resilience Award. To make a donation to All Hands Volunteers, click here.
Established in 2002, Global Giving leaves its mark as the world’s first and largest crowd funding organization for nonprofits. Since its inception, GlobalGiving has raised an impressive $229,446,593 from over 500,000 donors. 85% of every donation goes directly towards supporting causes. The remaining 15% is reserved for servicing charges, including administrative costs and credit card transaction fees. To donate to GlobalGiving, click here.
The National Italian American Foundation
With a mission to “serve as a resource for the Italian American community,” the National Italian American Foundation funds scholarships, mentorship programs, and travel grants. Commenced in 1975, the organization is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit that seeks to improve relations between America and Italy. Due to Italy’s recent earthquake, the organization is currently accepting donations to help with disaster relief efforts. To donate to the National Italian American Foundation, click here.